Sunday, April 29, 2012

Do You Need A Faith-Lift?


"And Gideon said unto God, If thou wilt save Israel by mine hand, as thou hast said, Behold, I will put a fleece of wool in the floor; and if the dew be on the fleece only, and it be dry upon all the earth beside, then shall I know that thou wilt save Israel by mine hand, as thou hast said. And it was so: for he rose up early on the morrow, and thrust the fleece together, and wringed the dew out of the fleece, a bowl full of water." - Judges 6:36-38 (KJV).

Recently I have found myself struggling with a certain "problem" in my daily walk with God. I constantly question my prayers, asking whether I am praying for the right things and in the right manner. What I have realized is that it is not my prayers that need any changing, but it is my faith. I realize that, although I have been praying for guidance and direction, and perhaps even praying for all the right things, I have not truly been praying with the faith that God would answer my prayers. So I suppose that you could say that I am in need of a "faith-lift".

Well, as always, whatever we need, we can find it in God, and the directions to help us can be found in His word. As my neighbour and I sat the other night talking about some of our daily struggles, we both mentioned this same difficulty. As we continued to talk, the story of Gideon came to my mind. I recalled how Gideon, a man greatly used by God, had himself struggled with his faith.

Often it is good for us as Christians to realize that the Bible "heroes" themselves struggled with the same issues that we struggle with. God told Gideon that he would be used to save Israel from its enemies. Even after God spoke to him, Gideon still lacked the faith to believe that God could use him for the task.

So what did he do? In his own way, he asked that God strengthen his faith by giving him a specific sign. God provided him with the needed boost by supplying the sign that he asked for. While I don't think we should go around asking God for signs whenever our faith gets weak, I do think we should ask God to strengthen our faith.

We can all be like Gideon and the other great people of the Bible, if we only have the faith. On our own, we can never develop the amount of faith required. So that is when we look to the great provider, and ask for a faith-lift. By using the little bit of faith that it requires to ask for more faith, God will reward that faithfulness with a fuller measure of His Spirit.

I am applying this to my life, and I can assure that it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment