Monday, January 21, 2013

Remembering


And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. -Genesis 3:2-3.

I studied piano as a child because my parents were musicians and wanted me to learn music. I wasn' t much interested in piano, but I memorized pieces for my annual recitals and played reasonably well. My goal was to memorize the notes well enough so I wouldn't freeze or make a mistake while playing before an audience.

As an adult, I sometimes hear those pieces on the radio. The first time that happened was with a Bach Etude I had enjoyed playing only because it made me appear more accomplished than I was. The professional pianist played with such skill that I wept. The professional pianist didn't just learn the notes so he could play without mistakes, but interpreted the composer's intention.

While I had committed the piece to my head, the professional had also committed the piece to his heart. The piece reached me intellectually; the piece reached the artist both intellectually and emotionally.

Adam had heard God's rule, "You may freely eat of every tree in the garden; but the tree of knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall die," directly from God and before God created the woman. Genesis does not tell us how the woman heard the rule. Whether God told her personally or she received the rule second-hand through Adam, she had memorized it well enough to recite it flawlessly to the serpent. She had committed the rule to her head but not to her heart.

When we commit ideas to both head and heart, they become a part of our being,and we remember them.

Preayer: Almighty God, your rules are few and benefit our relationships with each other and with you. Help us remember them in both mind and heart. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer.Gratefully, In Jesus Loving Name I Pray, Amen." 

No comments:

Post a Comment