Thursday, March 14, 2013

It's Not Just What's Taught - It's Whats Caught!

And he who sees Me sees Him who sent Me. John 12:45 (NKJV)

There is this saying which states, "People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care."  And this is so true!  There is another, which states, "Ministry flows through relationships."  Again, very true! 

Well, I have another saying I would like to add to the mix, "It's not just what's taught - It's whats caught!"

What I mean to say is this; what others learn about us is often learned by watching us. People invariably look at other people, to their actions, and the relationships they have with them, to extract what they choose to believe is true about them and their lives.  We can share with people what we believe about various things, but our actions will speak much louder than our words.  The problem occurs when the things being taught are not lining up with the things being caught. 

For example; I can have a mission statement posted on the wall of my business, telling the customers about how I believe in customer satisfaction, and how important it is form me to make a great product - how service should be second to none.  But I can then choose to act differently than these words and instead opt to produce an inferior cheaply made product, and dismiss any complaints coming my way.   Or, I can teach my children to obey the law, and then I can choose to drive over the speed limit the whole while their in the car.  

And how about this, I can teach others what the Bible says about this or that, and then choose to do something completely opposite in word or deed.  It's as easy as saying, "I believe it is God's will for us to forgive and to turn our cheek," and then I can become so frustrated when I am offended, and even contemplate retaliating with the same type of offense - it ought not be this way (Rom. 12:14). 

Jesus said, "he who sees Me sees Him who sent Me..." What He was saying was simply, when you look at me it's like you were looking at God Himself.  He could say this because He and the Father are one - three distinct parts but "1" God.

Jesus' very nature was reflective of God.  And in the same way, our attitude and actions should also be reflective of Christ.  This is the essence of being a Christian - to be Christ-like.  We have received Christ inside our hearts, and we are now in Him as well.  Our very nature should be changing to be more like Him.  This by no means is inferring we will not sin, because we will.  This is because we still live in these fallible temporary fleshly bodies, which are prone to sin.

Nonetheless, we should reflect Christs nature, and become more and more like him with each passing day, as a result of drawing near to God, drawing upon the Holy Spirits power, and abiding in His Will.  

 Jesus said, 

I must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; the night is coming when no one can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. John 9:5 (NKJV)

And Jesus said to His disciples, those who accepted and followed Him,

 "You are the light of the world. Matthew 5:14 (NKJV)

And as far as being like Jesus and following His examples of living, we are told, 

Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. Ephesians 5:1 (NKJV)

Knowing this, we should ask ourselves these questions:

Q:    When people look at me, do they see the Light of Christ within me?  
Q:    When people look at me, do they see me doing things the way Jesus would have done them?  
Q:    When people look at me, do they see my actions lining up with what I profess to believe in my mind and heart?  

Hey Christian, I want to encourage you today to take captive your thoughts.  Think about what you are doing continuously.  Think about whether Jesus would handle the situation in the same way.  Think about whether Jesus would say the same thing you are contemplating.  Be careful about what you say and do, because there are plenty of people who are catching what you're doing.

STUDY QUESTION: What can we learn from the Scriptures contained within this devotional with regard to who Jesus was, and how we should live?

PERSONAL INVENTORY: Are you attempting to be more like Jesus and living your life in such a way so others can say, when I look at you its like I am seeing Christ.

APPLICATION: Continue to read you Bible daily, and then apply the things you know to be true.  Think about the things you do and ask yourself if Jesus would do them.

No comments:

Post a Comment