Friday, April 26, 2013

Freely Giving Us All Things

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? Romans 8:31-32 (NKJV)

I am greatly comforted by this set of verses in Romans 8:31-32.  First of all, having the assurance of God being on my side, protecting me, and looking out for my best interests is liberating.  I am free from fear and worry, knowing He is with me every step of the way.  There is an abundance of peace within my mind knowing God cares so much about me in such a personal way. 

Q:    If God is for us, who can be against us?  

A:    The answer is Satan and the world by influence of his emissaries.  

To some, this is frightening.  I believe this is because they think of Satan as God's equal - that he is somehow as powerful as God.  But this isn't true.   God is the infinite.  He is the almighty powerful creator.   Whereas Satan is just a finite created being.  Knowing this, we can be confident in our safety and say as David did, "The LORD is on my side; I will not fear" (Ps. 118:6).

My knowledge of God sparing His only begotten Son, and delivering Him up to die on the cross for my sin has made me eternally grateful.  

It blows my mind to see so many Christian people jaded to the truth of this supreme act of love and sacrifice by God.  Could it be they were raised in a Christian home and therefore they've heard the Gospel message so many times, they've grown calloused to its ability to prick the conscious and heart?  Maybe they've tried following Christ, but found they weren't freely receiving, "All things" when they asked God.

Q:    What does this verse mean, "How shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?"

I believe this verse has been taken out of context and even interpreted as, "We can ask God for everything we want and He will give it to us."  But this is not what this Scripture is saying.  I believe it simply means God will give us all "Good" things.  

Some would say, "There are so many good things I would like to have, but they are not being given to me, why?"   And I would answer, Because God knows exactly what we need, and what is best for our Christian growth and walk.  I believe God gives us exactly what we need, and He spares us from those things we don't need - those things causing us to take our eyes off of Him, and causing us to stumble. 

I remember about 6-years ago, being with my wife while looking at a beach house to purchase.  We were sure this home would bring some great things to our relationship.  We could start and end our day walking together on the beach.  We could open the windows and listen to the ocean at night and sleep so good.  I could do some studying while listening to these waves.  We asked, but God knew this was not where He wanted us and He said, "No." 

We trust Him completely, and we know He is watching out for us and guiding us. He is keeping us from distractions and stumbling blocks that could potentially harm us.  He does this with each and every one of us because He loves us, and He knows us so well.  

Hey Christian, maybe God knows if you had enough money, you wouldn't be seeking Him right now.  Maybe He knows you would be putting your confidence in your wealth and possessions instead of Him.  Maybe He knows if you weren't afflicted with an illness or injury, you might be walking in a wrong direction - you'd be focusing on your next activity or business opportunity.  Maybe He knows if we didn't experience the loss of a loved one through death, we wouldn't be thinking about how we'd live for eternity.  

The point is God knows what's best for us.  He wants to give us all "Good" things to transform us.  He has already given us His Son so we might, through Him, have access to the Father and eternal life. He has already given us His written Word in the Bible.  He has already given us The Holy Spirit to help and guide us in the understanding of His Word.  We have already been given so much - why would He hold back anything else needed to become Christ-like?

STUDY QUESTION: What can we learn from the Scriptures contained within this devotional with regard to God's love for us?

PERSONAL INVENTORY: Are you jaded to what God has given you?  Are you eternally thankful for what He has given you?

APPLICATION: Trust in God with everything you have.  Seek Him and rely on His promises - knowing He will not give you more than what you can handle.  Know in confidence, He will provide for your needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment