Wednesday, October 31, 2012

He Is The Potter - We Are The Clay God Help The USA

The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying:  "Arise and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause you to hear My words." Then I went down to the potter's house, and there he was, making something at the wheel. And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter; so he made it again into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to make. Jeremiah 18:1-4 (NKJV)

As I was sitting down in my office, reading my Bible, and preparing to write a devotional - my door swung open and there in the hallway stood my assistant Angela.  She stated, "Sorry to bother you, but I am having one of those moments where I want to act like a girl." She then proceeded to tell me, "There is a cockroach on the floor here in the hallway and I don't want to get it because it is still moving, and it is disgusting."  

So I went out into the hall to see it, and I indeed found it scurrying about, attempting to get back into a dark place where it probably felt both safe and comfortable.  Unfortunately for the cockroach, the light had exposed it, and this would set in motion a series of actions greatly affecting the outcome of its very existence.  

As I finished handling this, and went back to the chapter I was reading in Jeremiah, I immediately saw the parallel to what I was to write.  The subject was to be about our "Once" God fearing (Respecting) Nation, known as the good old US of A.  I know, you're asking yourself, "Where in the world do you get that subject from a cockroach trying to hide from the light?"  Follow me and you'll see. 

Here in the passages of Chapter 18, I saw the very analogy God had given this man of God to properly put His children in their rightful place.  God had told Jeremiah to go down to the potter's house to hear from God.  When Jeremiah arrived, he found the potter to be working on a clay vessel.  Once done, the potter discovered the vessel to be marred or defective, and decided to break it down and started over using the same clay.  It was then Jeremiah heard from the Lord as God spoke these words, 

 "O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter?" says the LORD. "Look, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel! The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it. Jeremiah 18:5-10 (NKJV)

As I read these words, it dawned upon me, we as a nation founded upon Judeo Christian beliefs, are much like this nation spoken of in this passage.  We have been blessed amazingly by God throughout our existence.  But we too, have strayed from what we know to be right.  And, we must remember, we too, are but clay in the potter's hand.  

As I look around here in our country, I can honestly say, God has provided us with some Jeremiah's in our land who are willing to boldly say the word, "Repent," regardless of the persecution.  They are willing to speak the truth from the bible regardless of whether it is politically correct.  But unfortunately, in many cases, it is received much like a cockroach receiving the light.  And just as the light causes the cockroach to flee to darkness, God's Word can cause some people to flee to the comfort of the darkness.  
 
God was speaking very sternly to Jeremiah in these passages about the safety of Nations and Kingdoms.  I believe He is doing the same thing today through the Pastors willing to speak the whole counsel of God's Word.   We need to look at the promises contained within this text of verses as well, because God's ways haven't changed.  He will still relent from plucking us up, or pulling us down as a nation, or an individual if we repent and turn back to Him.  And He will still build us up, and plant us firmly as a nation or an individual if we obey His voice.  

Hey Christian, I want to encourage you today to seek God's Word and to faithfully apply it to your life daily.  Abide in God's will for everything and you will be blessed beyond measure.  After all, we are a nation of individuals, and the change to turn back to God starts with us individually.  Don't be discouraged by others who choose to live for this world - just stay focused on what God's will is for you.  

STUDY QUESTION: According to Jeremiah 18:5-10, what will God relent from if we turn from evil?

PERSONAL INVENTORY: Can you see the effects of selfish living and our turning from God within our Country?  Are you willing to continue in your walk with God, and obey Him as well as go to church and worship Him, regardless of what others do - including those within the Christian community?

APPLICATION: Seek the Lord every day and in everything you do.  Stay focused on Him and continue to trust Him regardless of how tough it gets.  God has a plan and He will be faithful to You and Your needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment