Sunday, October 28, 2012

Who Can Be Likened To The Lord?

For who in the heavens can be compared to the LORD?  Who among the sons of the mighty can be likened to the LORD? Psalms 89:6 (NKJV)

Q:    What do you want to be when you grow up?

How many times have you been asked this question?  I guess it can be a fair question when you are 6-years old, or even at age 10.  But what if someone asked you today, would you be offended, or would you give it some truthful consideration?  After all, it really doesn't matter at what age we are asked - what matters is how we answer it.  

At age 50, I am nearing senior citizen discount territory (Yikes!), and I still feel amazingly young within the confines of my mind.  My friend CH is pushing 83, and he says the same.  So, what would keep us from answering this question in all honesty? The way I see it, I am in the process of growing up every day of my life, and I won't be fully grown - at least spiritually - until I see God face-to-face. We see this being spoken of in 1 Corinthians. 

For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. 1 Corinthians 13:9-12 (NKJV)

I think for me, one of the hardest things to do is to consistently come to terms with the fact that I am to be transformed to be like Christ.  I guess I can foresee this happening when I am in the presence of God in heaven, but God's Word tells us this process doesn't happen when we get to heaven.  We are told it actually starts from the very point of our profession of faith, or our being born again in Jesus (Regeneration).   And it continues throughout our lives (Transformation), and will not be finished until we see Him (Completion).  We play a vital role in this process as we choose to allow God to use us and to change us into what He desires, which is to be transformed to the image of Christ. 

For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Romans 8:29 (NKJV)

We can see the lives of the Apostles being transformed throughout the writings of the New Testament.  And throughout history this Christ-like transformation has continued in every person who has made Jesus his or her Lord.   Take Billy Graham for example.  Billy was a simple country boy living on a dairy farm in Charlotte, North Carolina.  At age 16, Billy became saved, but was still regarded as too worldly to become a part of a local youth group.  But God continued to transform Billy and he went on to become a powerful preacher, speaking to over 2.2 billion people, and leading over 2.5 million to the Lord.  

In Psalm 89, the Psalmist asks the question, "Who among the sons of the mighty can be likened to the LORD?"

Each of us who are saved and who are led by the Spirit - we are sons of God, and this makes us sons of the mighty.  I believe each of us can be likened to God as we yield our wants and desires to Him and allow Him to shape and transform us to become the vessels of honor He intends for us to become (Rom. 9:21).  

Let's be practical, you might not be called by God to become the next Billy Graham.   And you might not end up speaking to billions of people or leading millions more to the Lord.  But let me ask you this.

Q:    Are you willing to speak to your neighbor, or coworker?  
Q:    Are you willing to speak to whomever God brings to you?
Q:    Are you willing to allow God to transform you into the vessel of honor He desires you to be?

 Hey Christian, I want to encourage you today to honestly ask yourself, "What do I want to be?"  I hope your answer is that you want to be everything God intends for you to be - to be used as a vessel of honor, and to be like Christ.  If this is your answer, then let God do His work within your life.  Let Him know He has full permission to change and transform you today.  

STUDY QUESTION: According to Romans 8:29, what are we to be transformed into?

PERSONAL INVENTORY: Are you willing to allow God to transform you into the image of Christ?

APPLICATION: Seek the Lord daily and ask Him to show you anything you need to abstain from.  Give Him permission to shape your life to be more like Christ.  

No comments:

Post a Comment