Tuesday, November 13, 2012

What Are You Worth? Part 2 You're worth the price of God's only Son

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16 (NKJV)

In Part 1, a question was proposed for each of us to answer, "What do I determine or gauge my worth as an individual by?"  I then proposed some additional sub-questions to this primary question.

  • Is it by how others receive me, such as a friend, co-worker, neighbor, or even my spouse?
  • Is it by how successful I may become in the business world, or in some other sporting activity?
  • Is it by my worldly perception of value or by what the Word of God teaches to be valuable?

We, as Christians, must understand our worth can never be in someone else's opinion of us - it must only be in God's opinion.  When we choose to understand God's amazing love for us - what He has done, and is continuing to do for us - we will begin to seek to know and please Him first and foremost.  Our value will be in what He thinks of us, and in our relationship with Him.  

We are told in Colossians, we are an expression of the life of Christ, because He is our life.

When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.Colossians 3:4 (NKJV)

This should give us great sense of self worth as Christian individuals - knowing He is our life.  But we must also know we are to live as Christ lived.  When we are not living according to God's will, we will feel conviction from the Holy Spirit, and condemnation from the enemy.  Conviction is easily remedied by confessing our improper actions, seeking forgiveness, and The Holy Spirit's guidance to be the person Christ as called us to be. 

If we are experiencing condemnation from the enemy for past mistakes, we must again go to the Word of God to understand His view of us - only then will we understand our true worth in His eyes, and act accordingly. 

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. Romans 8:1 (NKJV)

Again, we must understand the truth of God's Word to properly understand who we are in Christ - our life is not our own.  The Apostle Paul spoke this truth as recorded in Galatians and Philippians and gave us a proper way to live as well. 

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. Galatians 2:20 (NKJV)

For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Philippians 1:21 (NKJV)

We all feel bad when others treat us in a hurtful way - when they don't seem to value us.  When this happens, I try to remind myself of these things.

  • My life is not my own - I am to live for God.  
  • I have been bought and paid for by the blood of Jesus.  
  • Jesus has shown me how much He loves me, and He wants to show others His love through me.  
  • It is my selfless actions, which show Christ's love within my life as a Christian believer - it is the fruit of my salvation.  

I know my life here on earth is a very short and temporary time in which I can affect others in knowing about Jesus, and to offer them a transforming relationship with Him.  When I view this truth, it enables me to continue to love them regardless of how they may treat me.  I understand the origin of their hurtful actions as being from the enemy, and see the need for them to be reconciled unto the Lord.  I am encouraged to seek God for His empowerment to live in such a way as to cause them to want to turn to God and be forgiven.  This is my ministry.

There is only one way I can live in this Christ-like way - it is to have my life centered upon Christ, and not on this world, or my wants and desires.  It is to have my mind fixed on His Word, and allow for the Holy Spirit to lead me in every action.

I want to encourage you to think and meditate upon these truths continually.  God loves you, and you are of great value - walk in truth!

STUDY QUESTION: What can we learn from the Scriptures contained within this devotional with regard to Jesus' love for us, and our identity as a result of accepting Him as our Savior?

PERSONAL INVENTORY: Are you saved?  Are you looking to God's and the truth of His Word for your worth, or are you allowing others actions determine how you feel about yourself?

APPLICATION: Make it your goal to have the best relationship with God.  Seek to please Him in everything you do or say, and watch what happens in your life - you will be what God as called you to be in the lives of those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment