Saturday, November 17, 2012

Whats A Penny Worth?

Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit;" whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that." James 4:13-15 (NKJV)

Have you ever had the thought you were to go and speak with someone about something?  It's a strong feeling within, and it won't go away.  It can build and build until it becomes a burden upon your heart.  Such was the case a couple of weeks ago with me.  I was in the midst of a very busy week - attempting to get many things done so I could go on vacation with a clear mind.  In the midst of my busyness this thought kept coming to meI was to have a conversation with my nephew Gabe.

Gabe was having some serious health issues, and God was prompting me to speak with him.  As the week progressed, so did my burden to have the conversation.  Finally I made the time to go and talk with him about his walk with God.  Gabe had been plagued with health issues throughout his life, and his body was scarred on every limb as a reminder of bygone battles and surgical procedures.  As long as I can remember Gabe had to fight for what most of us take for granted in the way of health.  

As I thought about our conversation, I wondered to myself if he had developed a bitter attitude towards God for the cards he was dealt in life - all the pain and suffering.  As I was thinking about this, the Lord gave me an analogy I was to share with Gabe - one putting his temporary life into a proper perspective.  
Loaded with this analogy, I confronted Gabe and begin to share what God had told me to say. 

I said, "Gabe, what if you had several billions of dollars?  Now suppose you took every paper dollar and converted them into 100-copper pennies.  You would now have hundreds of billions of pennies, making up virtual copper mountains.  Now let's say you reached in and grabbed one, and you find it to be worn, with some deep scratches - it has been greatly used.  As you look at the rest of the pennies they are much different - they are in mint condition; shinny and never used or touched - they are perfect!" 

I said, "The Lord has told me, this used and scared penny is your life here on earth - it represents the small time you have here.  Those brand new perfect pennies represent your time and body in eternity - there is no scratches, no scars, and no wear and tear - just perfection.  And there is no end to these shiny pennies."  

I told him, "Without your time here in this temporary body, you could never have developed your faith, perseverance or your integrity.  The very trials and tribulations you faced in your health were the tools God has used to shape your soul, and your very character, which you will take with you when you leave this earth.  Our time here on earth is so short, and is actually referred to as a vapor."

Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths, And my age is as nothing before You; Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor. Psalms 39:5 (NKJV)

When Gabe was young, he wanted to become a doctor so he could help heal other children who were suffering physically, and I reminded him of this.  I then proposed the question, "What if you were used by God to help heal people spiritually today - would you still want to do that?"  He answered very strongly, "Yes!"  I told him God would honor this, and there were going to be many people who would be drawn back to God in their Christian walk because of what he was going through.  Gabe agreed and we prayed for God to use him in whatever manor He chose, so others would be healed spiritually. 

I am writing this devotional today, as a testimony of what God wants to do in each of our lives today.  God wants to use each of us, and everything we have experienced and endured as our own personal testimony to help others.  To steer them from making those same choices, and to share the glorious things God has done in our lives - the healing, and the transformation.  To encourage others of something greater, in the midst of their struggles and their fights - a hope we can grasp hold of - one of promises made to us by our creator. 

 Hey Christian, I want to encourage you today.  Maybe your health is the issue, and you find your body failing you - know this; God is doing an amazing work within you during this time, and He is preparing you for something much greater. 

Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. 2Corinthians 4:16 (NKJV)

Maybe the next time you see an old beat up penny on the ground, you will have a greater value for its worth, and of your worth as well.  Christ died for you, and this makes you pretty valuable. 

STUDY QUESTION: What can we learn from the Scriptures contained within this devotional about our life?

PERSONAL INVENTORY: Is God's Word renewing you day-by-day?

APPLICATION: Seek the Lord for what you will do today, and ask for His guidance.  God will use you in a mighty way if you allow Him.  Remember we are but clay in the potters hands - let's let Him mold us and shape our lives into the vessels of honor He chooses, rather than allowing the enemy to shape us into vessels of dishonor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment