Sunday, January 15, 2012

Blooming Where We're Planted


"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. - Philippians 4:12-13. (NIV). 

Recently, on a warm, spring-like day, I stopped near a bridge to take a picture of a small country village reflecting in the still water below. Just before I returned to the car, a glimpse of yellow caught my eye. Upon closer examination, I realized that it was a daffodil. This flower was far away from any tended garden. It was holding
tenaciously to the sparse soil near a steep embankment. Around it grew weeds. Caught in the weeds were samples of man's careless garbage. I took a picture of the flower and headed back to the car.


Later, as I reflected on the picture, I was reminded of the daffodil's courage and beauty. It would have been much easier for this flower to bloom in a well-groomed garden, one that had proper soil, and was sheltered from the harsh elements of man and nature. Instead, it had bloomed where it was planted, bringing beauty to its austere surroundings.


I believe God challenges us to be like this daffodil: to be content in our surroundings, and to be so rooted and grounded in God that we can grow and bloom in this world. Although we may be only one individual, with God's help, we can make a difference wherever God has planted us.

No comments:

Post a Comment