Thursday, September 6, 2012

Curing The Disease of Sin!

O LORD my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me. Psalms 30:2 (NKJV)

I was given a call a few weeks back by a fellow Christian Brother and asked if I would be willing to pray at an equestrian event to be held up at Wildwood State Park in Yucaipa, where I live. It was an equestrian ride called "Hoofin it for a cure," and it was run through the "Relay for Life" segment of the American Cancer Society. 

They were fundraising for money to find a cure for the disease of cancer at this event and it was well attended including some who were Cancer survivors.  It was the inaugural event, and I was asked to come and open up the day's festivities with a prayer - this was required by the American Cancer Society for it to be an officially sanctioned event.  

Through this prayer, I was able to speak into the lives of those in attendance.  I conveyed biblical truths, such as, God is the one who ultimately cures us of every disease - He is in control.  And even when people are suffering from this horrible disease, He is doing a work in their lives.  For those who know and love Him, this work is "Good," as He is strengthening their faith and shaping them for future works, both here on earth, and for eternity (Rom 8:28).  

For those who don't know Him, they are coming to the end of themselves - both physically, and spiritually.  They are facing some tough decisions, which will be answered - questions such as:  

Q:    What do I truly believe in - do I believe once I die, there is nothing else but the ground awaiting me - that there is no God, and no judgment for my choices or eternal consequences to them?

God's Word tells us when we are absent from our body we are present with God.   And when we die, we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the thingsdone in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad (2Cor 5:8-10).  And we see this truth in Hebrews as well. 

And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, Hebrews 9:27 (NKJV)

I shared with these people, that when they are going through the battle of cancer, they are actually being drawn closer to God.  

Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. James 4:8 (NKJV)

I shared with them according to God's Word, we are told to count it all joy when we face these types of trials, but that isn't our true response in the flesh.  Usually there is anger, fear, resentment, and many other emotions, but "Joy" isn't usually one - and yet God's Word tells us to count it all joy.  I then told them the only way we can count it all joy is to have this blessed hope in Christ Jesus. 

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.  But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. James 1:2-4 (NKJV)

I trust the prayer I spoke on this Saturday morning was used to sew many seeds into the hearts of those who were in attendance.  I know God's Word doesn't come back void - it always finds its target, and it produces a bumper crop.

Knowing Jesus Christ as our personal Lord and Savior is the basis of Life.  I find it somewhat strange to know we seem to fight incredibly hard to find a cure for Cancer in an effort to keep this temporary tent (body) alive, and yet we walk away from the only known cure for the cancer (Sin) of our Spirit. I don't know all I need to know, but I do know this ought not be so...

I wanted to share this with you, and I am praying you may be able to encourage those who are enduring this disease known as Cancer.  Encourage them to know there is hope and healing in Jesus.  He may choose to heal them physically - to give them some additional time here on earth.  But He may also choose to heal them completely by taking them home and giving them a new perfect body.  Either way, they will be healed perfectly from the disease known to kill both body and soul - the disease known as sin.  

STUDY QUESTION: According to James 4:8, what happens as we draw near to God?

PERSONAL INVENTORY: Are you drawing near to God continually - not just in the tough times?

APPLICATION: Seek the Lord Daily through prayer and in reading the Word of God - the Holy Scriptures of the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment