Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Bicycle Effect

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 1Corinthians 13:11 (NKJV)

I remember when I was a child and was just learning to swim and ride a bicycle.  They both took confidence to learn. For swimming it would necessitate letting go of my flotation device and the side of the pool and for the bicycle, it would mean mustering up enough speed to keep my balance.  To stop would result in a loss of balance and an eventual hard fall. 

Actually our Christian walk is much like learning to ride a bicycle - you need to quit doing the things you used to do and begin to move forward.  As we do, we begin to develop a new way of doing things and we can gain momentum and confidence in our walk.  We see this very thing being spoken of in 1Corinthians 13:11.  Paul said, "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

There are many people when riding, who will stop when they see what appears to be a rough road ahead.  They may fear what they are seeing and follow their feelings and emotions rather than just continuing to do what they know to be right.  They may ultimately reason they cannot go any further and they will put their feet down in an attempt to protect themselves from falling.

The same thing happens in the Christian walk - obstacles appear to be insurmountable and anxiety and fear can deflate improperly placed confidence. But it should not be this way - we need to place our confidence in Christ's ability to empower us to walk through even the darkest of valleys, as we seek the Lord in the power of prayer. 

Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 1John 5:14 (NKJV)

Failure to seek God for His Wisdom and to continue to walk in His ways when facing trials and tribulation will always end in a needless fall, whereas, we will be safe if we listen and obey.  This is exactly what Proverbs speaks about. 

Because they hated knowledge And did not choose the fear of the LORD, They would have none of my counsel And despised my every rebuke. Therefore they shall eat the fruit of their own way, And be filled to the full with their own fancies. For the turning away of the simple will slay them, And the complacency of fools will destroy them; But whoever listens to me will dwell safely,  And will be secure, without fear of evil. Proverbs 1:29-33 (NKJV)

We must place our confidence in God alone, and continue to keep moving forward.  

I was watching the X-Games a few months back and I could not believe what these guys were doing with their bicycles.  It was amazing to see such talent and the things they could do, I couldn't even imagine attempting.  As I thought about it, I concluded each one of these kids had to start just like I did - one pedal at a time - taking a chance and eventually making an attempt to balance and ride.  

Let's face it, for most of us, we will never ride a bike like those in the extreme competition, but this doesn't mean we can't continue to ride a bike and enjoy it and the benefits of the exercise we are getting. And the same is true for us as Christian men and women, we may not all be called to be preachers and teachers, but we are all called to read the Word and to continue to grow in wisdom and in our Christian walk - reaping the benefit of this exercise. 

Maybe Albert Einstein knew what he was talking about when he stated, "Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving." 

Hey Christian, I want to encourage you to keep moving in your walk with God.  We will always need both support and freedom, much like the child who is learning to ride, but the ride is what it is all about. 

STUDY QUESTION: According to Proverbs 1:29-33 what is the effect of those who rebuke or hate God's knowledge and advice contained within His Word?

PERSONAL INVENTORY: Are you moving forward in your Christian walk, or are you finding yourself falling often?

APPLICATION: Don't stop and drag your feet when you face difficulties - instead seek the Lord and His Wisdom and walk through the valleys with God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment