Monday, November 28, 2011

Jesus Wept


"As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it and said, "If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace -- but now it is hidden from your eyes." - Luke 19:41-42. (NIV). 


Recently I watched a BBC programme about two deaths in Ramallah, part of a series about war in the Middle East and its causes. As I watched, I perceived the fear, terror, and hatred in the faces on both sides. I was glad not to be there amid the hostility, pain, and horror. Something inside cried out in despair at this visual
intrusion into a conflict I knew little about.


I know that, even in the darkest places, our Lord reigns and cares. I am glad that He is so much greater than we are. He is not overwhelmed, but still, He weeps for His people, for us.


I believe it is no accident that it is God's prerogative alone to avenge in righteous anger. It is, I believe, too great a task for humans to carry this, on their own, without being destroyed, because it is corrosive, like attempting to carry molten metal in the palms of our hands.


Let us, where we go today, bring the peace and love of God with us in our inner being. If we are not in this place ourselves, let us start there, before we, too, become damaged.


Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. - Romans 12:19 - (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment