Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Affirmation of an Angel

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. Hebrews 13:2 (NKJV)

Encarta defines the word, Angel as:

1.A divine being that acts as a messenger of God.

Biblically speaking, the word Angel simply means, Messenger of God. We know that Angels can take the form of human beings as recorded in Genesis 19, when they came to rescue Lot and his family prior to Gods Judgment of Sodom and Gomorrah.

I believe that God uses people within our lives as well to be His messengers; people who have are sensitive to Gods leading, and are willing to be obedient to what He has asked of them. Last week, I experienced one such occasion with one of His messengers.

It was a Wednesday morning and I was to meet my Good friend for breakfast. As I entered the restaurant, I could immediately see that he was not doing well. His countenance was down, and it looked as if he hadnt slept a wink all night. I greeted him and asked how he was, and he immediately confirmed my judgment of his condition by telling me that he wasnt doing very well. He had been worrying about the economy, and the effects that it would have on his life, and those that he loved. He told me that many of the investments that he had made and was counting on, were being lost with the economic changes that were affecting the world, and even went so far to say that he felt that at 80-years old, nobody would probably hire him.

I listened carefully, and attempted to give some comfort to him by assuring him that God was in control. I told him that we can never put our faith in what we have, but should fully rely on God for our provision. He agreed in sorts, but it seemed to make little impact on his attitude and outlook.

Soon our breakfast arrived and I began to pray as I do each time we meet for meals. Shortly into the prayer I felt the Lord urging me to pray over him for peace. And so I shifted my thankfulness from our food to asking God to provide a peace that transcends all knowledge.

I continued my prayer by asking that God would show my friend how much He loves him, and to remind him that He will provide for his needs, and that it would not be from a company, or a savings account. I finished with asking that God would have His spirit come upon him and renew his faith this day.

Well, he thanked me and he looked much better as we begin to eat our meal. A few minutes later a man came up and asked if he could sit down with us. I replied, Absolutely, come and join us. Truth be known, I was very happy to have someone come and join us, with hopes of having a conversation that would shift my friends attention off of what was bothering him.

The man sat down, and his eyes were warm and friendly. He dressed well, and looked like he was straight out of a Norman Rockwell painting. It was as if he could be anyones grandfather as he was about 70-years of age. He thanked me, and then looked straight over at my friend. His warm smile turned to a sorrowful look as he spoke these words: I see the sorrow in your spirit&And I feel it in my own.

My friend didnt quite hear him fully, and answered by saying, What was that? with a puzzled look on his face. The man repeated the same thing, this time taking his glasses off, as he began to weep.

This time, my friend heard him clearly, and there was no mistaking the genuine nature of this mans heart, and compassion for my friend. Understanding fully what was spoken; both my friend and I began to weep along with this man. He then spoke again and said, I was to tell you that Jesus loves you, and that it was going to be alright&

He finished by saying that he had been watching us for a long time, and had seen us many times there in the restaurant. And that he noticed that we always prayed with each other, and that he liked that. He said that we had always encouraged each other as well, and that we had been doing this a long time with each other. This caught my attention, because this is a small restaurant and I had been eating here 2-times a week for years. Its almost as if I feel like Norm on Cheers, and that I know everyone. If I dont, then I at least know that they are new here. And I hadnt seen this man before.

My friends countenance changed immediately, and a peace like I have never seen on him took over his whole body. He was so transformed instantly. God had answered the prayer that I had so earnestly spoken just moments ago. I told my friend that the man who had just stopped by was a special person, and my friend responded, He was an Angel. And he then spoke in sort of a third person way by saying, Well, if a person didnt believe before, he sure does now.

Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation? Hebrews 1:14 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment