Friday, June 29, 2012

Delivery Day!

Jesus answered and said to him, Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus said to Him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mothers womb and be born? Jesus answered, Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. John 3:3-6 (NKJV)

When I was a young kid in the 60s, I often thought about what Id do when I grew up. I was torn between being a policeman, being a lawyer, or being a doctor. Im not sure where the influence came from. Maybe it was the board game of Life, or possibly watching those great TV shows such as Dragnet, Markus Welby, or Perry Mason. But one things for sure, I was sure that I was going to do one of those three.

Im not sure what happened but I dont have a badge or carry a gun, Im not defending anyone in court, nor have I completed my first brain surgery as of yet. Maybe next week? : I did however join my wife in the delivery room as I witnessed the birth of our two daughters and was able to see what it took to deliver a new life into the world. Quite fascinating! Those Lamaze classes paid off.

Jesus talks about our being born physically, but He puts a bigger emphasis on our being born again spiritually. And as much of a miracle as it is to see the growth and birth of a little baby, it is even more precious in the Lords sight when we become born again, and are now alive spiritually. This happens when we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior. We confess our sin with our mouth, and that we believe in our heart He is the Savior, and that He died on the cross for our sin, and was raised to life (See Rom 10:9-10).

What I find fascinating about the spiritual birth of another human being is that God actually allows us to be a part of it.

The process begins when spiritual seeds are planted first. This happens when someone shares the Gospel with another person. They can do this verbally by sharing their belief in Him, or by giving their testimony of how Jesus changed their life.

Once a seed has been planted, it needs to be watered. This can happen in various ways. When we, as Christians, live Christ before those whove heard about Him, they get to see His love through us, and it gives a testimony as to how real He is, and what they might receive once they accept Him. This process can take a lifetime for some people, while others see and desire this relationship with God right away.

The final step of the process is the delivery. Just as it happens in the case of a mother giving birth to a child, one day comes along, and it is time. We might not even realize the person who weve been talking to about Jesus, is ready to accept Him. And it might not have even been us that spoke with them about Him at all, but there we are. And the next thing you know, you are smack dab in the middle of the delivery room, and you find yourself asking them if they want to accept Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior.

Such was the case in my life today.

My wife Carol and I were up in Pismo enjoying a much-needed vacation, and it had been very relaxing. As I was sitting listening to the waves crash against the cliffs outside, I was sitting down to write a devotional.

I saw that I had missed a phone call, and had a message. It was a girlfriend of a guy who I know from our church. She said that she had an important question and asked if Id please call her back on his phone. I placed the call, and she told me that they had gone to his bosss church that morning and she had heard him mention the sinners prayer in the message. And she wanted to know what it meant.

It was obvious that the seed had been planted, it had been watered, and it was delivery time.

So I told her what it was, and talked with her about what it meant, I then asked her if she wanted to accept Jesus as her personal Lord and Savior. She responded immediately with a resounding, Yes! I led her in prayer, talked with her about her decision and then prayed for her again.

I got off the phone and sat there in awe at the fact that God had chose to use me as a kind of a spiritual doctor. And He allowed me to help give birth to another baby Christian.

As I sit here tonight, Im laughing inside about the 3-things I wanted to be as a kid. I find it pretty cool, that I am used by the Lord in conversations of accountability (policeman). I am used to help defend those who are innocent, and who arent always able to defend themselves (lawyer). And I am used in the gift of counseling which helps in the healing process of many people who are hurting. And I even get to help with a birth of a new Christian now and then (doctor).

God is amazing!

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16 (NKJV)


STUDY QUESTION: According to the Scriptures above, what must we do to enter the kingdom of God?

PERSONAL INVENTORY: Have you made this profession of faith in Christ yet?

APPLICATION: If you know that you have sinned, and you want forgiveness, and you want a relationship with Jesus; if you would like to ask Jesus to come into your heart, and to cleanse you from all unrighteousness, then pray the prayer below. If youve already done this, then maybe its time to share with someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment