Friday, June 15, 2012

Lucky vs. God's Sovereignty

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified. Romans 8:28-30 (NKJV)

I was pedaling home the other morning on my road bike, coming up the canyon to my house, when I observed a van losing control as it was coming down the winding canyon road towards me. I watched as the driver drifted towards the curb and then suddenly overcorrected, causing the to pitch sideways. I felt this strong urgency to move forward so I could get away from any potential collision path of the van, so I didn’t hesitate and I begin to pedal with all my strength up this hill. I was able to get about 3 revolutions out of my pedals before the van shot directly towards me and just barely passed by my rear tire within inches. It hit the curb and rolled over the guardrails and lay upside down—I had just missed being hit.

A passing motorist called for help, and I was able to help extricate a mother and her four children out of the van. After making sure everyone was okay and there were no major injuries, I asked the mom if I could pray for her. She nodded yes, and I immediately began to praise God for His mercy and grace. I asked for Him to give her a peace that surpassed all understanding to guard her heart and mind in Christ Jesus. Instantly, I could see her begin to calm down.

As I sat there and waited for the police to come assist I began to reflect on how close I came to dying, and then I immediately realized I was really never in danger—God was there the whole time, and in His sovereignty He chose to keep me perfectly safe.

As if to make this very point crystal clear, two firemen came over to me later and the first one said, “Hey, I hear you almost got hit…you’re really lucky…you should go buy a lottery ticket.” His partner quickly replied by saying, “It looks to me like God has a plan for his life.” I smiled and said, “Indeed, He does…”

The way I see it, luck doesn’t have anything to do with anything…God does, and in His sovereignty He works all things for good for those who love Him.

I want to encourage you to mediate upon these things today. Let’s choose to acknowledge the sovereignty of God and realize He has a perfect plan for each of our lives.

STUDY QUESTION: According to Romans 8:28 how many things work for good for those who love God?

PERSONAL INVENTORY: Do you fully trust God with your life?

APPLICATION: Let’s choose to place a greater faith in God’s perfect plan for our lives, and allow Him to use us in every situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment