Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Cleansed By The Blood

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness 1John 1:9 (NKJV)


I find it interesting to walk through grocery stores and to see how the products are arranged.  It doesn't take long to conclude where the profit is based on the amount of space allocated to certain product groups.  Dog food, cereal, medicines and, of course, "Laundry detergents" being prime examples.  When you think of it, laundry detergents are big business as every one of us uses them to clean our clothes.  As I looked at the vast quantities and the various brands I found myself caught up with all the "Tag lines" used to market them.

Every one of these products claimed to be the "Best" and each one had something different to boast.  One stated, "Stains surrender" (I can just see the little stain saying, "You got me Sheriff!" lol...).  Another offered what they called the "Stain solution," where they would specifically tell you how to cleanse 20-different types of tough stains.  One claimed to "Stop stains on the spot," while another claimed it could clean the stains along with giving amazing fragrant choices such as "Soothing sensations" and "Joyful expressions."  Wow!  For a second there, I thought I was in a coffee shop.

It didn't take my mind long to draw a parallel between the cleansing of the "Dirt" stains within our clothes and the "Sin" stains within our flesh. And as I meandered down this trail of thought, I marveled at how Gracious and powerful God is.  I thought about how God doesn't market salvation with pretty packaging or smelly fragrances to lure us into buying into a saving relationship with Jesus - He sent His Son to love us, serve us, and to die for us.

I thought how happy I was that He doesn't give us 20-different ways in which we can be cleansed of our sin either.  In fact, He gives us just one way - confessing our sin, repenting of it, and placing our faith in Jesus as our personal Lord and Savior.  I know that frustrates many people, who, much like the laundry detergent marketing gurus, believe that their way is best.  But the fact remains; it is "ONLY" through the blood of Jesus that we can be cleansed of our sin.

But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 1John 1:7 (NKJV)

In much the same way that mankind has put together their "Super formulas" that guarantee the cleansing of our clothes, they have done the same thing in putting together various religions and cult beliefs - claiming that salvation and forgiveness can be obtained through "Their" specific formula.  And although we need to be very careful, it is actually very easy to spot one of these "False" formulas, as they all are missing one specific ingredient - that being Jesus Christ as God in the flesh, and His sacrificial, atoning blood as the basis for our being justified (declared righteous).  That's why I love the lyrics to that old hymnal by Robert Lowry from back in the late 1800's - because it lays out the antidote to our sin so simply.

"What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus."

I thank God that He was willing to cleanse me from my sins and that He allowed His only begotten Son to shed His blood to do that.  I had no problem saying those same words as the King David who wrote:

Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, And cleanse me from my sin. Psalms 51:2 (NKJV)

Hey Christian, we need to remember this fundamental Christian truth because the enemy is subtly attacking the foundational truths God gave us in His Word through false teachings and feel good preaching.  There is only one way that we can be white as snow with regard to our transgressions, and that is through the crimson red "All Temperature Detergent" of Christ's blood.  Without it, there is no cleansing.

knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot. 1 Peter 1:18-19 (NKJV)

STUDY QUESTION: What can we learn from the Scriptures contained within this devotional with regard to our being cleansed by the blood of Christ?

PERSONAL INVENTORY: Can you say as David did, "Lord, wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin?"

APPLICATION: When the enemy fires a thought into your head, telling you that you are not worthy of being saved - you haven't done enough - read these scriptures again.  Christ death was enough to pay the penalty for every sin that we have done.  Repent of those sins and walk in newness of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment