Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I've Made My Peace With God

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his names sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. Psalms 23 (NKJV)


One can look at our world and the state it is in, and it can cause all but the most optimistic of people to scratch their heads in wonder. And based on all of the negative information they can be focusing on, which were all being bombarded with, it is no wonder when fear and doubt accompany their feelings when contemplating how they should navigate a safe path as they move forward into whatever the future may hold.

For some, it could be like an Army infantryman who is forced to go through a land mine strewn field, as he takes each step, probing and prodding, nervously anticipating the worst. Not a feeling of peace, Im sure of that.

Do you have a peace in your heart today? Are you totally confident about your future as you look forward to this next year?

I believe there are two honest answers to these questions, and you cant fake them. It is either yes or no.

If you answered no, I have some helpful information for you. We cant be looking at what is transpiring in our world and have any peace, hope or confidence at all. We must look to God and to His promises if we are to have hope and confidence, which lead to peace of mind and a happy heart.

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2Corinthians 4:18 (NIV)

I think we should fix our eyes upon Psalm 23 instead of our nightly news to find out what King David wrote about his relationship with God, and how it affected his attitude and outlook. David had the right perspective, and God made him King because he was a man after Gods own heart (see 1Samuel 13:14).

David knew what it was like to be a shepherd, because it was what he had done before God selected him to be king. I think this is how David was prepared for his job of caring for Gods flock. We see David using a shepherds terminology for the care that God has for the sheepfold throughout this psalm. And since we are Gods sheep, we can see how God cares for us as well

We know from scripture, Jesus is our Good Shepherd, and He will take care of His sheep.

I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep. John 10:11 (NKJV)

We need to be obedient and wise enough to follow Jesus wholeheartedly as His sheep. When we do this daily, we will have this peace, knowing He will supply our provision, protection, and guidance as we closely follow Him. If we rebel against our shepherd and stray from the path He lays before us by living in ways independent of His Word, we will find ourselves filled with anxiety, doubt and fear. But when we allow the good Shepherd to guide us in every aspect of our lives, including what we fill our minds with, we will be filled with contentment and joy.

I want to encourage you to stop and go to the Lord in prayer right now before you go any further. I will lead you. Father, I am sorry for worrying and doubting about my future based on what I am seeing and hearing in the world and in the news today. I am sorry I have put my faith in these reports over the promises You have made to me, Your child. I submit myself to You right here and now and I dedicate my life unto You. I place my faith in Your provision, protection, and guidance this day Lord. In Jesus name, amen&.

I want to encourage you to read Psalm 23 at the top of the page again. Read it with the confidence of knowing God is going to do all of this for you this day, and see the peace God gives you with the assurances only He can offer.

Thank God for the peace we have been given. We serve a Holy, Righteous, and Mighty God. The worlds economy is not His economy. His hand is not so short that it cannot save us. Trust Him fully today! Place your faith in Him and Him alone, and feel the peace and confidence only He can give.

STUDY QUESTION: What does God do for us according to Psalm 23?

PERSONAL INVENTORY: Are you willing to put your faith in God today instead of your own abilities and what you see on television?

APPLICATION: Commit to God each day everything you have; your time, abilities, talent, and resources, considering others better than yourself. Watch what He does through you and how youre blessed as a result. Watch the peace within you grow. Stay focused on Him and His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment