Monday, May 28, 2012

I'm Washing The Car!



&but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the headChrist from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love. Ephesians 4:16 (NKJV)


When I was 16-years of age, I went to work at a car wash in the afternoons, when school was over, and on Saturdays. I had long since learned the art of washing and cleaning things from my youth, and so I guess you could say, I took a shine to this new trade. (Pun intended!) The art of cleaning something seemed pretty simple to me, and fairly easy to do, if you werent opposed to working at it, or even getting a little dirty yourself along the way.

Ive found that God has a unique way of using our past experiences to do our present ministry. Its sort of like having these meals throughout the week, and then preparing another meal and supplementing it with some of the items you have in the refrigerator. So, in the same way, Ive taken previous things Ive experienced or have seen, and I tend to use them for giving analogies, with the current situation.

Hey, maybe youre not a big leftover fan when it comes to food, but when it comes to implementing lifes lessons, whether from common ordinary experiences or from the good and bad choices once made; theres nothing better.

Ive always like to use analogies when talking with people and attempting to make a point, because I think people can relate visually to common things and experiences. So, when I can use an example or illustration to give a visual, when trying to convey something, it seems to stick because of this technique. Maybe its just the bizarre stuff I come up with thats remembered. But either way, God uses it.

A few months ago, I was writing a message I was to give for our Calvary Chapel Monday Night study. And in one part of this particular message, I would be emphasizing the importance of reading the Word of God daily, and then, simply applying what they had read to their life. So, God starts to utilize my past to make the point in this message and I get this visual in my head of me standing in the driveway with a bucket of warm soapy water at my feet. In my hand is a nice sponge, and before me sits the dirty truck, which I need to wash. And, just about then it clicks to me what He is sharing!

What if I was to prepare the car soap and warm water in the bucket, and take the sponge and reach down and dip it into the water and then stand back up straight with the sponge about shoulder height, and just stand there with the water dripping down my elbow and onto the ground?

I can almost hear you right now, Okay Scott, where are you going with this?

Stay with me on this, because I think youre going to like it.

So, I just stand there, and then in about 45 seconds, I reach down and dip the sponge into the bucket of warm soapy water and repeat the process of bringing the sponge up to about shoulder height. And this goes on and on and on, with the water just dripping out of the sponge an all over the ground. I would imagine right about then, if the neighbors were looking over at me, theyd be questioning my sanity.

But what if the neighbor knew I had always talked about my car washing expertise, and they also knew I had always preached about the benefits of a clean car? Now they really would be questioning the validity of my belief and also of my abilities, along with my sanity.

Breaking down the analogy: The sponge in this case is our brain, and the water in the bucket is the water of Gods Word.

Jesus answered and said to her, If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, Give Me a drink, you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water. John 4:10 (NKJV)

Heres my point!

"We read the Bible.
"We study the Bible.
"We learn all about Gods Word.
"We fill our minds like the water fills the sponge.

Q:But what good does it do if we dont apply it?
A:It doesnt do any good at all!

And I would have to imagine there are many people in this world who are watching Christians walking around with their Bibles in hand, and with all sorts of knowledge from attending Church and Bible studies, but their not applying the Word to their lives. And, much like the neighbor, theyre probably questioning our sanity.

And our filth filled society is just like the dirty truck in the drivewayit isnt going to be changed or cleaned up unless we apply what we have soaked up in our sponge like brains.

I want to challenge you today Christian! Keep it simple! Read the water of Gods Word. Soak it in, and then ask God to help you use it wherever it is needed. It doesnt do any good to dip the sponge in 70-times in a row and then just stand there. If we use what we have been given, it will cover those with whom we share it with, and it will impact their lives as well as ours. We can then dip our brains back in and soak up some more to be used again, and again.

I dont know about you, but I really like cleaning for God&

STUDY QUESTION: According to John 4:10, what is Jesus prepared to give to all who ask?

PERSONAL INVENTORY: Have you made it a daily habit to share what youve learned from reading Gods Word?

APPLICATION: Take it one day at a time. Prayerfully read the Word of God. Apply it to your life. And then be faithful to share what you know with others whom the Lord has brought to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment