Monday, August 20, 2012

Do You Want to Know Jesus?




Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. Revelation 3:20 (NKJV)

We just completed a 5-part devotional series on witnessing and sharing the Gospel message with others who have not yet come into a relationship with Jesus Christ.  We have given reasons why we should be sharing in the Great Commission.  We have given help in overcoming some of the frequently spoken reasons that would hinder one from participating in sharing.  And we have given an outline for sharing all the information that an unsaved person would need to know to make that profession of faith.

The last piece of the witnessing guidebook I would like to equip you with is encouraging you to finish the job.  You have been sharing with someone, and they have been listening.  You can clearly see that God has given you a divine appointment and you are finished saying everything that He has prompted you to share.  But there is one final step for you to do, and most people don't usually finish by doing this.  And this step is asking the pivotal question to the person you have been sharing with.  "Do you want to know Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior?"

I just want to say that you probably are not going to ask this question each and every time you share, as there will be times where you may just share pieces of the Gospel.  And there will be times where you are there and you will just be watering the seeds that have been spoken.  But there will be times where it is obvious that the person you are witnessing to has heard everything they need to make a decision, and you will know that it is time to ask that question. 

So, you now have popped the question and then the unexpected happens, and they answer, "Yes!"
  
Q:    Now what?
A:    Lead them in a prayer of salvation.

We need to understand something very clear here Christians; it isn't our perfect prayer that saves us-it isn't the wording on the prayer that can keep someone from making it into a relationship with Jesus Christ-It is only by the grace (Unmerited favor) of God only, and it is through our faith in Jesus, who He is, and what He has done for us that is saving us.  

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9 (NKJV)

So with this said, let us look at what we should tell a person who has said, "I want to know Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior." And then asks:

Q:    "What must I do to become a Christian?" 

1.    Admit that you are a sinner and turn from your sin.

Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, Acts 3:19 (NKJV) 

Repent literally means "a change of mind that results in a change of action." To repent, then, means to admit you are a sinner. You change your mind to agree with God that you are a sinner. The resulting "change in action" is, of course, the turning away from sin.

2.    Believe Jesus Christ died on the cross to save you from your sins and give you eternal life.

John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

Believing in Jesus is also a part of repenting. You change your mind from unbelief to belief, which results in a change of action.

3.    Come to Him by faith.

In John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one can come to the Father except through me."

Faith in Jesus Christ is a change of mind that results in a change of action-coming to Him.  

4.    Pray

Once they have acknowledged these things, they are ready to be led in prayer.  As I stated earlier, there is no perfect prayer for Salvation.  So I would like to give an example of one that you can use.  Simply have the person you are leading repeat the following prayer-keeping in mind that you will have to say a small portion and then let them repeat that portion before continuing.  

Sinners Prayer Example:

God, I confess I am a sinner, and I'm sorry for my sin.  Please forgive me.  I turn from it now.  And I choose to follow You.  Jesus Thank You for dying on the Cross for me and for resurrecting for me.  Come into my heart and into my life right now.  Be my Lord, my Savior, and my friend.  Write my name in Your Book of Life.  Empower me and fill me with Your Holy Spirit and make me new.  Help me to follow you all the days of my life.

In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

Once the person has made their profession of faith in the Lord, and they have prayed the sinner's prayer, it is important to encourage them to not doubt their salvation.  We are saved by grace through faith.  There is nothing you ever did, nor can you ever do to deserve it.  It is absolutely free from God-all you have to do is receive it.

5.    Tell someone about your decision

Tell someone about your decision as soon as you make it.  By publicly proclaiming your faith in Jesus, you will now have accountability, and will be less apt to go back to your old ways of life.  The enemy will be tempting you to doubt that the decision you made is real, and having an accountability partner will be extremely helpful.

There are some essential things that are needed for spiritual growth once a decision has been made, and we will look at them in a 5-part series. 
Hey Christian, you have everything you need to witness and share the Gospel message.  Just let the Lord know that you are willing to be used today.

No comments:

Post a Comment