Monday, August 27, 2012

Two types of Storms-Part VII 12-Ways to deal with a Storm.

pray without ceasing, (1Thessalonians 5:17 (NKJV)

We are going through a devotional series titled, "The two types of Storms." These are storms - times of testing - that we will all face in our lives.  Even though there is many ways that these storms can be manifested they will all fall into one of two categories, and they are: 


  • Storms of Correction These are the tough times where we go through trials and tests because we have unconfessed sin in our life - and we are going in a way that is not in the will of God.
  • Storms of Perfection These are those times where we go through trials and tests because God loves us and He is transforming us to be more like Jesus.

In our last devotional were continuing to look at the 12-Ways to deal with a "Storm." Lets continue with number four.



  • We need to cry out to God

If we are going through a Storm of Correction and we are walking in sin, and we are starting to see the consequences of our actions - our life is starting to unravel - we need to stop our sin and repent (turn around - change our mind), and seek the Lord.  When this happens, simply cry out to the Lord, "Father forgive me, I confess that what I have been doing is wrong and I want to change now.  Help me to be the person You want me to be."

It may even be that you are so caught up in the sin and not wanting to stop.  If this is the case then you still need to cry out to the Lord.  Be honest with Him because He already knows how you feel.  We need to understand that when we know that what we are doing is wrong and we continue to do it, we need to get help fast - we need to cry out to God, "Lord save me!  Help me to see my sin in the way you see it.  Break my heart for what breaks Yours.  Help me to stop what I am doing Lord."

Q:    But what if I pray and I still find that I am tempted by a particular sin.  Does this mean that God doesn't want to help me or that He doesn't hear my prayer?

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2Chronicles 7:14 (NKJV)

If we cry out to God in sincerity, then He will be faithful to guide us through our issues.  Again, the Storms of Correction are brought on by our own choices to walk independently outside the will of God - if we are willing to repent of this willful disobedience and submit to God's will and His ways then the storm will subside.

Q:    What if I cry out to God during a Storm of Perfection - will He stop that storm as well?

A:    God may or may not stop the Storm of Perfection when you cry out to Him - only He knows because He knows exactly what it's going to take to shape and mold us for the future of eternity, and for the upcoming challenges that we will face in this life as well.  

Another thing to remember is that everything we go through, both good and bad will be used for Good for those who love God and have been called according to His purpose (See Rom 8:28).  This means that we may be called to walk through some tough valleys that we don't necessarily want to walk through because God is going to use them in a great way in our life and the lives of others.

I will say this though - just because your prayer isn't answered immediately, doesn't mean that He isn't going to answer it.  It could be that it is not in His timing to answer it, or it could be that He wants you to persevere and press in through continual, deep, earnest prayer to grow your spiritual walk.  I always say, "Don't stop praying - pray as long as it takes to get an answer, even if it takes longer than expected.  Pray without ceasing!"

So whether it is a Storm of Correction, or a Storm of Perfection, we need to "Cry out to God" in such a way that we surrender to His Lordship of our lives, and we need to place our faith solely in Him alone.  Remember, we cannot produce the fruit of good works without His help.

"I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 
John 15:5 (NJKV)

In our next devotional we will look at our 5th way to deal with the Storms we will face.

STUDY QUESTION: What can we learn about crying out to the Lord in prayer by the Scriptures contained within this devotional?

PERSONAL INVENTORY: Are you walking in sin?  Are you willing to stop, but are having problems quitting? 

APPLICATION:  Cry out to the Lord and ask Him for His help - apart from Him we can do nothing

No comments:

Post a Comment