Thursday, August 16, 2012

I Disagree

  If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. James 1:5-8 (NKJV)
    
    If youve been reading my writings for any period of time, youve noticed the emphasis that I put on reading the Word of God. I probably stress this more than any other thing. The reason is pretty straightforward-it represents life! Its pure and simple; everything we need to know is contained in the Word of God.
    
    I often advise people to seek a Church that has those in attendance opening the Word and going through it verse by verse. And when I give counsel, I do my very best to guide and lead any and all advice based solely on the Word of God.
    
    I find that there are many people that simply share their opinions when it comes to preaching from the pulpit or when giving counsel. I find that they can be very persuasive and even entertaining. In and of themselves these things are great to have, but they are like having a sandwich without anything in between; just two slices of bread.
    
    I have listened to men preach and give good sermons, only to disagree with some of the things that they have said. My disagreement was not because they offended me, or because what they said didnt go along with the way I was going about something. My disagreement was because what they said didnt align up with the Word of God.
    
    I have experienced the same thing when giving counsel. I have given good solid Godly counsel only to have the person tell me that they respectfully disagree. Each time I experience this, I am compelled to ask them why they believe this. And each time I am given an answer that it is preceded by, I just believe that& or I just feel that&
    
    Q:So whats wrong with those responses? 
    A:Well, maybe nothing, but then again, maybe everything.
    
    What I mean is this. Why do they believe what they believe? And should we put our feelings ahead of the truth? Lets be practical about this, because the last thing I want is an abstract theological opinion here. So with this said, let me propose a good guideline.
    
    
    1.Does the belief, opinion or view come solely from an emotional feeling?
    
    We cannot base our opinions or beliefs solely on our emotional feelings, because these feelings will lead us astray, and they can cloud our potential to make good, wise, and sound judgment.
    
    2.Does the belief, opinion or view come because of environmental and/or social acceptances and practices?
    
    We cannot base our opinions or beliefs solely on what our society is doing or accepting, because this is a poor model to pattern our beliefs, opinions and views after.
    
    3.Does the belief, opinion or view come into alignment with the facts and absolute truth that God has given us in the Bible?
    
    This is the only pure and righteous way to base our beliefs, opinions and views of everything in our life. And this is why it is so important to read the Word of God. When we read, we are rebooting our hard drive also known as our brain. We are cleaning it from all of the garbage that has been permeating it since our youth. The Word of God is like an anti-viral program that debunks all of the impurities that we have come to know and accept because of our cultural beliefs and its accepted practices. 
    
    If a person wants to pick and choose what to believe when it comes to Gods Word, then they will simply waiver back and forth. Agreeing and disagreeing based on what works for them. And when a person does this, they are simply saying, I dont believe that Gods way is best. And more importantly, it is treating Gods word like human advice. 
    
    I find that when I give the counsel of Gods Word, that a person will do this because they can retain the option to disobey what the Word plainly states that should be done. They can go back and forth, vacillating between their allegiance to Gods Word, and their subjective feelings-the worlds ideas verses Gods commands.
    
    Im okay with people who have a different opinion than mine; after all that is their God-given right. Im okay with someone telling me, I disagree. Its not important if someone agrees with me or not, it is important that they agree with God and His written word. 
    
    Hey Christian, lets not be waves being driven and tossed by the wind. Lets base our beliefs, and equally important, our actions, on the never changing Word of God. Lets not let our emotions or worldly experience dictate what we believe and do.
    
    STUDY QUESTION: According to the Scriptures above, where should we get our wisdom?
    
    PERSONAL INVENTORY: Do you pick and choose what part of Gods Word to believe and apply? Are your decisions to do so based on how you feel, and by what society has said is okay?
    
    APPLICATION: Dont compromise just because our society is. Hold fast to the Word of God. It is righteous pure and true, and He will honor you for doing this, even if it means laying down your rights to do so. We dont have to do this legalistically; we just need to do it unto the Lord and in Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment